Tuesday, April 18, 2017

23andMe: Human Genetics




When thinking about human genetics, I cannot help but talk about the things available to retrace our genetics makeups. My father over winter break submitted a swab of his spit to 23andMe to see if our family was predisposed to any diseases that we should be aware of. The results that we received were shocking. We discovered that he was a carrier of a blood mutation that my brothers and I were all tested for and also have. I was on medication that would cause me to have a blood clot, so thank God we did the 23andMe and found out before something horrible happened. I think it is amazing how with a swab of spit we can trace our entire genetic makeup. In the top right corner is an example of some of the things 23andMe test for such as certain responses to drugs and inherited traits. The fact that we have the technology to analyze the entire genetic makeup of human beings is amazing. I cannot wait to see what the future holds for technology and telling us about our past.

1 comment:

  1. Inventions like this are so fascinating! Technology has truly revolutionized the medical world and has made everything more easily accessible. It's amazing how crazy it is that we can find out so many different things about our genetics. We have the ability to find the good and the bad and prevent or cure whatever we can. Technology advancements are in our hands and we must do only good with it.

    ReplyDelete